Friday, February 27, 2009

I'm on a dye-it......

It's been a busy week here at the chook yard. I'm a real homebody and I have had a few huge days out and about. On one of those days I had a lovely couple of hours scavenging the op-shops, and came home with some fantastic buys. Much of it was yarn, including some Rowan Tweed and gorgeous alpaca, as well as some great vintage yarns like Patons Bluebell crepe. I picked up a vintage ball winder which works a treat, I wish I'd found it before I handed over $55 for a new one! And I got a Speedie electric jug, which I absolutely love, I kill modern kettles with our bore water and my little Speedie is just a tad small so I was thrilled with this find.My order from The Knittery arrived, it was my first order from them and I would highly recommend them. Great price and great service, what more could you ask for? I ordered 500 grams of their 50% silk 50% merino in 8 ply and OMG it is divine. It's a single ply, similar in style and content to Noro silk garden. I can't wait to dye it up and make it into something special. I did some dyeing this week, some pure wool I acquired in a swap. It came out great, not my usual colours, but I think the person I dyed it for will like it.I also received some scrumptious fibre in another Ravelry swap from MelM. Mel sent me some beautifully dyed top and some lovely sparkly fibre to add to it.
I feel very spoilt, can't wait to see it spun up, now I just have to decide how I want to spin it. I sent some of this to Mooska, along with some mohair locks in co-ordinating colours. I loooove swaps!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Clever Chook,
i just have found your post about your Speedie electric jug.
I am from Berlin/Germany and my mother have also one, now for about 30 years, and she and me too love it. But now the heating coil inside broke down, and we don't have any sparecoil at all. Years ago, when my father traveled a lot in Australia he brought several sparecoils with him, but now the last is down. Do you have an idea where we can get new ones? I think the manufactor "Nilsen" doesn't exists anymore. Do we have a chance to repair our beloved "Speedie"? I think it's from the late 70s. Any info will be helpful. her is my emailadress to get into contact with me.
nicolaus.metzger@berlin.de