Sunday, December 7, 2008

Some hand-dyed roving, and a song

I love spinning group. One of the great things about it is the goodies for sale on the trading table. I snapped up a 1kg bag of roving for $12.50, bargain! I had been wanting to try multi-coloured hand-dyeing for ages. Thanks Rexenne for the wonderful video tutorial on how to do it. Here's mine after applying the dye.

And here it is after dyeing and plaiting. I did 200 grams of the blue/red and 100 grams of the green/orange/brown. Yummy.


All the roving made me reminisce about the lovely Irish ballad I remember singing in school. For your enjoyment.......




Gypsy Rover
A gypsy rover came over the hill Down through the valley so shady. He whistled and he sang 'til the green woods rang And he won the heart of a lady.
Ah-dee-doo-ah-dee-doo-dah-day Ah-dee-doo-ah-dee-day-dee He whistled and he sang 'til the green woods rang And he won the heart of a lady.

She left her father's castle gate. She left her own fine lover. She left her servants and her state To follow her gypsy rover.

She left behind her velvet gown And shoes of Spanish leather They whistled and they sang 'till the green woods rang As they rode off together

Last night, she slept on a goose feather bed With silken sheets for cover Tonight she'll sleep on the cold, cold ground Beside her gyspy lover

Her father saddled up his fastest stead And roamed the valley all over. Sought his daughter at great speed And the whistlin' gypsy rover.

He came at last to a mansion fine Down by the river Claydee. And there was music and there was wine For the gypsy and his lady.

"Have you forsaken your house and home? Have you forsaken your baby? Have you forsaken your husband dear For a whistling gypsy rover?"

"He is no gypsy, my Father," she cried "but Lord of these lands all over. And I shall stay 'til my dying day with my whistlin' gypsy rover."

No comments: