Saturday, December 20, 2008

A trip, a funeral, and some socks....

After travelling by car, taxi, bus, 2 trains, a plane and another car, I arrived in Launceston Tasmania on Tuesday for my brother-in-law's funeral. I headed home again on Thursday with my darlin', a total of 2400 kms. Now I'm back, and ready to prepare for Christmas....... Despite the sadness of the occasion it gave me an opportunity for some therapeutic knitting, much to the curiosity of other travellers and those gathered for the funeral. Knitting helped pass the time and probably reduced my consumption of comfort food and beverages. There's only so much sitting about and nibbling one can do. I think the fact that I was knitting socks really intrigued people. Why would I do such a thing? Besides the enjoyment factor and the fact that I can't sit still without something to occupy my hands, there are a few other reasons to knit socks. It makes me feel connected to those who knit before me, part of a tradition, an art form, a history. It gives me a sense of self-sufficiency, I feel competent in a skill that produces something useful and practical. Handmade socks feel better, fit better and can be made in any style or colour I want. Most importantly though, I like making socks, it's fun! One down, and one to go.......

No comments: